Mozzies are one very annoying part of summer. Especially coming into Australia Day and the typical storm season, we’ve got more of a need to keep ourselves protected and deter the pesky creatures from ruining our outdoor entertaining. This little trick is amazing – I’ve tried it and it worked! It’s one way to trap and remove any mozzies around. You can leave these traps out for about a week or two and they will continue to work!
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast
1 two-litre bottle
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the colour black)
Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.