If you don’t feel like going for a walk, or you don’t have a gym membership, there’s no need to stress! There’s a number of ways to get fit at home, all in your living room.
Here’s 7 of the best exercises – all you need is the floor and your body.
Squats are great for your quads, bum and lower back. All you need to do is:
- Start with your feet shoulder-width and your arms out straight in front of you or behind your head.
- Bend from your hip as though you’re going to sit down on a chair.
- When your legs get to 90 degrees or a seated position, raise yourself up.
- Repeat 20 times with a break of 90 seconds between each.
Push ups are one of the most popular exercises for good reason: they work your whole body.
- Start with your hands shoulder-width apart, directly under your shoulders and your knees or toes on the ground.
- Lower yourself to within 5cm from the ground.
- Push back up and rest before going down again.
- Pick up the pace and try 3 sets of 15 – 20 presses.
The cobra is a great abdominal and back stretching exercise. It shouldn’t hurt though, so stop if it does.
- Lie on your stomach on an exercise mat or floor with your hands positioned directly under your shoulders and fingers facing forward. Legs should be straight and toes pointed.
- Gently exhale and suck in your abs – this supports the spine. Press your hips into the mat or floor.
- Lengthen the torso and curl your chest away from the ground while keeping your hips stable, like a cobra
- Make sure you keep your shoulders rolling down and back.
- Hold this position for 15 – 30 seconds then slowly lowering yourself down.
4. High knees
Stretch out those knees and get the juice flowing! Your heart rate should increase with this fat burning routine.
- Lift your leg as if you were running on the spot
- Keep your hands in front of you at hip level, palms down, and tap your knee on each step.
5. Leg lifts
Work your hip flexors, abdominals and obliques with this easy exercise.
- Lie on the floor on your back and press your lower back against the ground.
- Place your hands either under your butt or beside your hips.
- Lift your legs together straight up to a 90-degree angle, then lower them back down until the hover above the floor, and repeat.
6. Rotating side lunge
Get a great butt for summer, as well as working those quadraceps and hamstrings. It balances and coordinates your upper and lower body while moving side to side.
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, arms extended at chest level, hands together.
- Take big step to the left, rotating your upper body toward that side.
- Bend your left knee and lower hips, keeping the left knee over your foot.
- Press into your left foot to return to starting position and repeat.
- Switch sides!
This is like climbing stairs, without actually going up. You’ll work your core and knees.
- Stand in front of a step or staircase with your feet together, arms at sides.
- Place your left foot firmly on the step, keeping your head up and abs tight.
- Lift yourself onto the step, raising your right knee until the thigh is parallel to the floor.
- Hold then lower right foot to floor behind step, then left.
- Repeat with right foot and raise left knee. Continue alternating legs.