For most of us summer means warm weather, beach days and family BBQs. Unfortunately, we’re not the only ones who come out to play when the weather gets warmer. Cold-blooded insects that thrive in warm, humid conditions, such as mosquitos and cockroaches, also explode onto the scene around this time of year.
By their nature, cockroaches are scavengers that are most likely to live around the perimeter of buildings, entering inside homes simply to hunt for food. Therefore, by keeping your home clean and tidy, you’re more likely to keep the roaches and other insects at bay.
Top tips on keeping an insect free home:
1. Place non refrigerated food in sealed containers. As well as preventing cockroaches, it will also keep food clean and fresh
2. Replace pools of stagnant water, such as bird baths, regularly. If neglected, these soon become a perfect breeding ground for mozzies
3. Empty the inside bins regularly placing them in outside bins away from the home. If this isn’t possible, keep inside bins covered and garbage bags tied
4. Spray and clean cooking surfaces and the inside of the oven after every use. Keeping cooking areas clean will greatly reduce the risk of attracting unwanted critters
5. Treat surfaces with a non-toxic spray such as Orange Guard. These products will kill Cockroaches without leaving harmful chemicals in the home
6. Sweep floors and vacuum regularly, especially in the kitchen where food sources may be found. Vacuuming is the best way to remove dirt and crumbs from cracks and corners which could otherwise attract pests