It’s mozzie season and whether we like it or not, the pesky insects will bite us day or night! You don’t have to use expensive sprays or cover yourself in chemicals to ward off mosquitos, just use one or all of our DIY repellents and relax.
1. Vanilla mosquito repellent
- Ingredients: Vanilla extract
- Cost: Less than $5 at grocery store
- Directions: Apply some vanilla extract or vanilla essence to your pulse points.
2. Lavender mosquito repellent
- Ingredients: Fresh lavender (the flower)
- Directions: Rub a lavender flower behind your ears, wrists and neck. Not only will you smell great but mosquitoes will leave you alone.
3. Lemon eucalyptus mosquito repellent
- Ingredients: Lemon eucalyptus oil and sunflower oil or witch hazel
- Directions: Mix 1 part lemon eucalyptus oil for every 10 parts of sunflower oil/witch hazel. Rub or spray on skin.
4. Garlic mosquito repellent
- Ingredients: Minced garlic, mineral oil, and lemon juice
- Directions: Mince a few cloves of garlic then cover with mineral oil. Allow it to sit for at least 24 hours. Next you take a teaspoon of *just the oil* and mix it with 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Strain through a cheesecloth if you have any floaties then pour into a spray bottle. Shake before each use.
5. Citronella oil repellent
- Ingredients: citronella oil
- Directions: dab it on your forehead, ankles, elbows, shoulders or fill up a spray bottle with distilled water and a couple of drops.
6. Peppermint, coriander, lavender, melaleuca and citronella repellent
- Ingredients: 10-25 drops of essential oil (lavender, coriander seeds, peppermint, melaleuca and citronella); 2 tablespoons vegetable oil; 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel (optional)
- Directions: Combine the ingredients in a glass jar; stir to blend. Dab a few drops on your skin or clothing.
7. Catnip, citronella, lavender, neem, and black pepper repellent
- Ingredients: 6 drops each of essential oils of catnip, citronella, lavender, neem, and black pepper; 30 mL of an unscented and natural oil or moisturiser.
- Directions: Mix ingredients and rub on skin.
8. Herbal tea repellent
- Ingredients: catmint and rosemary leaves and stems; a cup of boiling water
- Directions: Cut the leaves and stems of catmint and rosemary, then place in a container and cover with a cup of boiling water. Steep for an hour, cool and use the herbal tea as a repellent spray.
9. Parsley and vinegar repellent
- Ingredients: parsley leaves and a cup of apple cider vinegar
- Directions: Crush parsley and mix with apple cider vinegar. Rub the mixture on your skin.
10. Summer spray
- Ingredients: basil leaves, a couple of water and half a cup of vodka
- Directions: Mix ingredients and put into a spray bottle. It is non-sticky and is lightly-scented.
Do you get a lot of mosquitos where you live? What do you do to get rid of them? Share your tips below.