Cooking can be such a drag sometimes. To help you out, we’ve put together a list of 10 simple yet brilliant solutions to your everyday kitchen problems. Hopefully they help calm your cooking nerves.
1. Make your own magnetic spice rack to save space and keep organised
Image via Amybites.com
- Buy a stainless steel base for the wall – whatever size you like.
- Find a place in your kitchen and screw the base into the wall.
- Buy a bunch of jars – whatever size, number, shape and material you prefer.
- You’ll also need magnets for each jar. Ensure the magnets are strong and fit the lid of your jar. It may take a bit of trial and error.
- Use a hot glue gun and apply pressure to ensure they’re stuck together. Let it dry for at least 30 minutes.
- Label the jars. Get creative – masking tape, sticker, drawing
2. Removed baked on grease with heat and hot water
- Hit up your pan over the stove. Face the baked-on grease side towards the flame/hot element.
- Once heated, place the pan in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Clean with soap and a scrubber.
3. Peel ginger with a spoon
4. Remove egg shells with the egg shell
Sometimes egg shells can escape into the bowl of shelled eggs. Ever try to grab the shell but at the last minute it slips through your fingers? Next time, simply use a large piece of the broken egg shell to scoop it out.
5. Another egg trick! Use a water bottle to separate egg yolks from the whites
Image via Thekitchn.com
- Crack egg into a bowl
- Squeeze an empty plastic water bottle slightly
- Place the bottle opening over the yolk
- Release your grip – the yolk is sucked inside separating it from the egg white
- Squeeze the yolk into another bowl
6. Peel garlic by shaking it
- Put the garlic cloves in a container.
- Place the lid on and shake vigorously for just 20 seconds
- The garlic will be peeled!
7. Get rid of fruit flies with apple cider vinegar
Image via Apartmenttherapy.com
- Pour apple cider vinegar in a small glass
- Roll up paper into funnel shape and place in glass
- They’ll fly in and won’t come in – RIP fruit flies
8. Create storage containers in the freezer
Do you have a freezer avalanche forming? Use containers of varying sizes to sort your goods in the freezer – potatoes, veggies and so on. Then label the containers to help keep you organised.
9. Stale bread? Coat it in water and bake it again!
- Coat your baguette in fresh clean water
- Pop it in the oven at 230C for about 5 to 7 minutes
- Crispy, crunchy bread!
10. Wash your hands with stainless steel to remove onion smell
- Get a stainless steel utensil
- Pretend this utensil is a bar of soap and wash your hands
- The stainless steel will remove the onion from you skin
Have you tried any of these kitchen solutions before? Tell us, do you have any other brilliant solutions?