If you are looking for an appetiser that is not only delicious but is easy to make, you will love these spinach feta rice balls.
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- ½ cup of shredded mozzarella
- 340 grams of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice (1 cup uncooked rice, prepared according to package directions)
- 230 grams of crumbled feta
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 Tbsp butter, divided (melt 3 Tbsp of it and use the 4th for sautéing the onion and garlic)
- fresh black pepper and salt to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Use a non-stick spray to evenly coat a 24-cup mini-muffin tin.
2. Brown off but do not burn, the onion and garlic with 1 Tbsp of the butter in a shallow fry pan over medium heat. When golden and tender, pour into a large mixing bowl.
3. Mix the mozzarella, drained spinach, cooked rice, feta, dill and the salt and pepper until thoroughly combined after adding 3 Tbsp of melted butter.
4. Stir in the beaten eggs after adding any salt and pepper to taste.
5. Using a spoon, place approximately 1 tablespoonful of the mixture into each muffin tin, packing it down lightly with the spoon.
6. Using the grated parmesan cheese, sprinkle lightly over top.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the edges are golden brown. You can check by flipping one of the balls out of the tin and checking if the bottom is brown and crispy.
See the spinach feta rice balls being made here:
Tell us, what is your favourite appetiser recipe?
If you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.