Add a little zing to your day with this beautiful lemon delicious! The lemon is this slice really sings and is balanced out perfectly by the vanilla biscuit base. It’s such a great treat to pull out for guests or to take to party or afternoon tea with friends and family. It’s easy to put together and once you’ve made it for the troops, they’ll be begging for more every time! This batch makes about 8-10 slices so be sure to double up with two trays if you’re feeding a big crowd.
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 cups plain flour
- 200g unsalted butter, melted
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks, extra
- 2 cups caster sugar
- ⅓ cup plain flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 cup lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC. Place the sugar, coconut, flour and butter in a bowl and stir until combined and mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Using the back of a spoon, press the mixture into the base of a lightly greased 20 x 30cm slice tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool completely. Reduce the oven temperature to 160ºC.
2. To make the lemon filling, place the eggs and extra egg yolks in a bowl and whisk to combine. Add the sugar, flour, lemon rind and lemon juice and whisk until smooth. Carefully pour the filling over the cooked base and bake for 30 minutes or until just set.
3. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Dust with icing sugar and slice to serve. Serves 8–10.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.
Submit your article here