When we think of Chinese food, we often think of delicious, saucy dishes with sticky glazes and more-ish flavours. Unfortunately, most of these come loaded with calories and all kinds of ingredients you wouldn’t usually want to put in your body. Luckily, we have an amazing recipe for Chinese lemon chicken you can easily whip up at home! Both the batter and the sauce are easy to put together and all that’s left to do is fry the chicken until it’s lovely and golden. Serve the lot up with noodles, like in the picture, or steamed rice and a side of veggies.
- 1 kg chicken breast fillet cut into pieces
- 1 L oil
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 cup cornflour
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbs cornflour
- 2/3 cup lemon juice *to taste
- 1 cup water
1. Batter: Beat egg in a bowl then add chicken and mix thoroughly.
2. In a new bowl sift plain flour and cornflour and mix together, then add chicken in small batches and cover thoroughly in flour.
3. Using a wok deep fry chicken in batches in hot oil until golden brown. Drain off excess oil then place chicken on large serving plate.
4. Sauce: Mix cornflour with water to make a smooth paste, set aside.
5. Place sugar, lemon juice and lemon rind in a small saucepan. On medium heat stir sauce until just simmering and then stir in cornflour paste until thickened. Pour sauce over chicken and mix well. Serve with rice or noodle stir fry.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.