French toast is a breakfast favourite! Top the sweet, spicy, fluffy slices of toast with icing sugar and some fresh strawberries and you know your day is off to a great start.
But, no matter how delicious, the idea of slaving over a hot stove flipping gooey bread is not very appealing. Also, if you are trying to be health conscious, the idea of frying bread in oil is probably not that appealing either.
So, we found a recipe that allows you to bake french toast instead, making it just a little guilt-free. Plus, while it’s cooking to perfection you can relax with a cup of coffee or tea!
- 4 slices of thick bread
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbs butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Start by preheating your oven to 180 degrees.
- If you want to dunk your bread into cream or maple syrup, slice the bread into three even pieces.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, melted butter, vanilla and cinnamon in a shallow dish.
- Dunk the bread sticks (or whole slices) into the batter, letting the excess drip off. Place them onto a baking tray, lined with paper or sprayed lightly with oil.
- Bake for 8 minutes then flip the bread and bake for a further 8-9 minutes. Make sure you spray the top of the toast when you flip it so it doesn’t stick.
- Enjoy them fresh, or if you are cooking ahead of time you can wait for them to cool, freeze them and heat them in the microwave when you’re ready to eat them (only 30 seconds – 1 minute will be needed).
Our favourite way to eat this dish is topped with icing sugar and fresh berries with just a little bit of cream on the side to dunk the sticks into. Maple syrup, honey, golden syrup, bananas, icing sugar and squeezed orange juice all make delicious toppings as well.