With the cooler months approaching it’s time to start thinking about comforting and hearty meals we can tuck into at the end of the day. Casseroles like this one are perfect for cool and cozy nights curled up in front of the fire. This recipe is packed with veggies and herbs, giving you the extra health kick you need during winter and it’s so easy to whip up with everything thrown into one pot to cook together. Serve it up with a couple of slices of crusty bread and butter for the ultimate comfort meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.8kg chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 500g pumpkin, sliced into wedges
- 2 brushed potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) white wine
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tub chicken pot stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon oregano, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves
- Crusty bread, to serve
1. Heat oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, in batches, for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
2. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, pumpkin and potato to the pan. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring, for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until liquid has almost evaporated. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Combine the stock, tomato paste and 2 cups (500ml) boiling water in a jug. Add the stock mixture and oregano to the pan and stir to combine. Return the chicken to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
4. Divide casserole among serving plates. Sprinkle with basil leaves and serve with crusty bread.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.
Submit your article here