Looking for a delightful afternoon treat? Banana bread is delicious and so are chocolate chips so why not combine the two and get an incredibly tasty chocolatey banana bread that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth? Serving up to 10 people this is the perfect treat to make if you are having family or guests over and need something to put on the table.
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed (see note)
- 1/3 cup pure cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sponge cake and steamed bun self-raising flour
- Preheat the oven to 150 C fan-forced before greasing a 7cm deep loaf pan. Make sure the base and sides are lined with baking paper that extends past the pan on the long sides by 2cm.
- Sift the bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and flour into a large mixing bowl before stirring in the sugar.
- Whisk the milk, vanilla and eggs together in a separate bowl and then add the milk mixture to the butter and banana before combining with the flour mixture. Stir till all ingredients are combined.
- Fold through the choc chips before spooning into the loaf pan. Smooth the surface and bake for 1 – 1.10 hours.
- To check if its cooked inset a skewer into the centre of the bread and if it comes out without any batter it is cooked.
- Take pan out of oven and allow bread to cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out to a wire rack to cool further.
- Place cream and chocolate in a medium heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium setting for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds or until melted and smooth.
- Place bread on a serving plater. Spread the chocolate mixture over the entire loaf. Set aside for 1 hour or until set. Cut into slices. Serve.
If you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.
Submit your article here