One of the most irritating internet-related situations is being bombarded by a mountain of pop-up ads while trying to access a link on a website. No matter where I seem to click, a new pop-up ad appears! Even an attempt to close down existing ads is met with more and more new pop-ups on my screen.
Now, I know I’m not the only one who’s been through this. Almost every website on the internet is riddled with hidden pop-up ads… But fret not! Here’s what you can do to make it better.
FOR CHROME USERS
Download a Chrome Extension called ‘AdBlock‘. It’s totally free, and it will help to block the vast majority of potential pop-up ads on any site.
Here’s how you download it:
- Open up Google Chrome, and click on the 3-bar icon on the top right-hand corner of your browser.
- Hover your mouse over ‘More Tools‘, and then click on ‘Extensions‘.
- This will redirect you to the Chrome Extensions page. Scroll down and click on ‘Get more extensions‘.
- You will then be directed to the Chrome Web Store. In the top left-hand corner, you will see a search bar. Type “AdBlock” into this search bar and then press Enter on your keyboard.
- Search results will be given. You’ll want to scroll down until you see this result:
- Click on ‘ADD TO CHROME‘.
- A notification will appear at the top of your screen, asking you for confirmation. Click ‘Add extension‘.
- Done! The AdBlock icon will now appear next to the 3-bar icon on the top right-hand corner of your browser screen.
You can click on this icon to adjust your adblock settings.
For example, if you want to allow a certain webpage to send you pop-ups, click on ‘Pause AdBlock‘ or ‘Don’t run on this page‘.
You would want to do this if the adblock is preventing you from accessing a link that you actually want to pop up on your screen!
FOR OTHER WEB BROWSER USERS
Similarly, download the AdBlock extension. You can do this by following the links below:
Now you can enjoy surfing the web without worrying about drowning under a sea of annoying pop-ups!