Being image conscious doesn’t stop at 60, which is why for a lot of us mature women, we’re still embarrassed by the unwanted hair on our bodies.
Let’s be honest, hormonal imbalances, certain medications, those changes that came after babies… It’s a pretty long list of things that can cause unwanted hair issues, especially for women.
However, you don’t have to shell out big bucks for treatments like laser hair removal, electrolysis or waxing. These natural home remedies can not only remove that unwanted hair but they can save you money in the process.
Oh, want to know the best bit? You should find everything you need in the kitchen.
1. Sugar lemon mix for facial hair
Sugar with lemon and water helps exfoliate your face and offers a natural bleach to your face. The lemon juice helps to lighten the colour of your facial hair. The combination of these three ingredients combine to effectively remove the hair on your face (and other parts of the body). Just don’t use this mix on your sensitive bits.
1. Mix the sugar and water in the bowl.
2. Once well mixed, add the lemon juice and mix well.
3. Apply the sugar and lemon mixture on your face in the direction of the hair growth.
4. Allow to rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Using water to remove, rub your hands gently on your face until all the mixture has been removed.
6. Repeat the process two to three times a week to see a reduction in your facial hair.
2. Turmeric paste
Ahh turmeric… It’s been used to treat skin diseases for centuries. In addition to having antibacterial and antiseptic properties, turmeric also removes unwanted hair and prevents hair growth. You might find that if you have heavy or dense hair this paste might not be as effective as those who have fine hair.
1. Using a 3:1 ratio, mix the turmeric and milk together until you have a thick paste.
2. Spread the paste onto your skin in the same direction as your hair growth and allow it to dry.
3. Use a dry washcloth to scrub your skin in a circular motion and remove the paste.
4. Repeat the treatment every few days or as you see your hair growing. You should notice your hair gets finer and takes longer to grow back after you’ve been using the paste for a couple of months.
Word to the wise though, turmeric will dye your skin yellow, which is great if you want to look like one of the characters from The Simpsons, but rest assured this is only temporary. You can use a little soap and baking soda to remove the yellow tint.
3. Sugar and molasses wax
Sugar mixed with molasses is quite effective providing slow and steady relief from unwanted hair. When you mix the sugar and molasses together you will create a depilatory way that you can use on your hands and legs.
1. Take a microwave safe container and add sugar to it.
2. Add a drizzle of molasses on top of the sugar and microwave for 2-3 minutes.
3. Make sure the sugar dissolves completely and then add freshly squeezed lemon juice.
4. Allow to cool at room temperature and when the liquid is a bit warm apply it on the hands and the legs where you see unwanted hair growth.
5. Place the waxing strip on this applied mix.
6. Pull off to get rid of unwanted hair and repeat this process whenever you spot unwanted hair growth on hands and legs. This is a painful process.
4. Raw pawpaw (papaya)
One of the active enzymes in pawpaw, papain, is capable of breaking down hair follicles and prohibits the growth of hair. Pawpaw also functions as a natural exfoliant for your skin, giving it an improved texture. If you have sensitive skin, you might want to use this method.
1. Combine all ingredients and mix well to get a thick paste.
2. Apply the past to your body in the opposite direction of your hair growth.
3. Leave for 15-20 minutes or until it dries.
4. Take a clean cloth and rub in the opposite direction of the hair growth. When all the paste has been removed in this way, wash off any remnants with water and pat dry.
5. Moisturise your skin using baby oil or olive oil.
6. Repeat up to three times a week over three months for best results.