Want all-round protection from mozzies this summer? Here’s three recipes to stop them whether it’s inside, outside or while you’re sleeping.
1. Lemon eucalyptus mosquito repellent
- Ingredients: Lemon eucalyptus oil and sunflower oil or witch hazel
- Directions: Mix 1 part lemon eucalyptus oil for every 10 parts of sunflower oil/witch hazel. Rub or spray on skin.
2. Summer spray
- Ingredients: basil leaves, a couple of water and half a cup of vodka
- Directions: Mix ingredients and put into a spray bottle. It is non-sticky and is lightly-scented.
3. Homemade mozzie trap
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast
1 bottle (2L)
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix brown sugar with hot water and let it cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
3. Add the yeast – no need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area (mosquitoes are also drawn to the colour black).
Change the solution every 2 weeks.