There can be different times in your life when you check-in with yourself and question ‘where am I?’, ‘what am I doing?’, ‘what’s wrong with me?’.
That last question ‘what’s wrong with me?’ is a big one. No one wants to admit there is something wrong with them and that they’re not ‘normal’, whatever that is. However when you’re in your 50’s chances are you have experiences which have had a major impact on your life and can cause huge emotional turmoil:
1. The passing of a loved one.
2. Relationship breakdowns…separation, divorce etc
3. Business partnership breakdowns
4. Serious health issues (you or those close to you)
5. Financial losses
6. Buying or selling a business
7. Having your own business
8. Lack of business success
9. Business failure
10. Semi-Retirement and Retirement
All, some or even one of the above can impact you both emotionally and physically and unfortunately for many babyboomer business owners I encounter, they have either avoided dealing with the real issues or are unaware of what the real problem is…themselves.
Instead of dealing with their grief, loss, over-consumption of food, alcohol, drugs, blame, anger or procrastination, people often bury themselves in ‘busyness’, hoping the problem will go away.
Unfortunately this is especially true with many male business owners, who isolate themselves and try to work out the solution by themself. The thing is, there is no one magic pill that will ‘fix it’.
Feeling each day is like ‘ground hog day’, beating yourself up because you feel you should be ‘more successful’ than you are now and withdrawing from the world isn’t going to help.
The good news is, you can reignite your midlife mojo and change your life at any time. It is never too late as long as you’re willing to change.
Here’s 3 simple steps to reignite your mojo:
1. Be honest with yourself…if you’re not ‘happy’ , what is the real issue? Who could possibly help you? What next step can you take? What are you doing to change the situation?
2. Get fit and healthy...find a professional who can help educate you, keep you accountable and ensure you stay on track…you won’t do it on your own, because if you could you’d be doing it! That person could be a personal trainer or health coach.
3. You could be suffering from burnout and depression. Many males are so a great place to start could be organisations like ‘Beyond Blue’
There is always light at the end of the tunnel.
Tell us, do you feel you’ve lost your mojo?