A glass of water with the juice of half a lemon in the morning revitalises the body but just how it does it is truly awesome.
Lemon water not only will quench your thirst better than any other drink but it also nourishes your body with essential elements that you need – it is even argued to be the best natural energy booster.
Here’s 8 benefits behind lemon water and why you should have one now!
- Supports the immune system: helps to fight infections of the respiratory tract and sore throats. This is because of the anti-inflammatory properties of lemons. It can also help lower blood pressure by up to 10 per cent (1 lemon a day).
- Aids digestion: the citric acid from lemons stimulates the secretion of gastric juice and digestion. These digestive qualities of lemon juice can also help relieve symptoms of indigestion, heartburn and bloating. Overall, it helps regulate bowel movement.
- Repairs skin: great for combating skin ageing. The vitamin C in lemons improves skin by rejuvenating the body
- Reduces appetite: lemon water can help with weight loss. Lemons contain pectin fibre, which help surpass hunger cravings. People with a better alkaline diet have lost weight faster. In fact, you’re less likely to snack and make poor food choices.
- Balances pH levels: Lemons create an alkalising effect in the body. It can help maintain a higher level of pH. With high pH, it is more likely your body is able to fight diseases.
- Cleanses the urinary tract: lemon water is a diuretic meaning it encourages the production of urine. Toxins are therefore released at a faster rate, helping to purify the system and keep it healthy. It can even help dissolve gallstones, kidney stones, pancreatic stones and calcium deposits.
- Freshens breath: helps kill off bad bacteria in the mouth by acting as a disinfectant. It is even said to help with tooth pain and combat gingivitis.
- Protects overall health: it provides the body with needed electrolytes, such as potassium, calcium and magnesium to hydrate your body.
- Promotes healing: it is good for your joints and reduces pain in your muscles.
- Detoxifies the liver: it cleanses the liver since lemons stimulate toxin release. It can also help control excess bile flow.
Note: It is best to drink lemon water first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
Do you drink lemon water in the morning? Will you try it after hearing about all of these benefits?