This classic slice is sure to remind you of your childhood with its cocoa-based icing and flavoursome biscuity base.
This recipe combines brown sugar, chocolate cocoa and coconut to create a slice that will be a hit with family and friends.
Cut the slice into squares and portion it out for morning tea, afternoon tea and a tasty dessert. Store the slice in the fridge so the icing does not melt in the heat.
Next time the grandkids pop in for a surprise visit, why not get them to help you cook up this delicious slice!
- 150g butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 200g cups icing sugar
- 30g cocoa powder
- 20g butter finely chopped
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 2 tbsp extra desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced oven.
- Prepare slice tray by greasing it and lining it with baking paper.
- Stir together butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in a bowl.
- Sift in the flour and cocoa.
- Add ½ cup of coconut and stir until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tray and even out.
- Put in the oven for 25-30 minutes until firm.
- Sift together the icing sugar and cocoa in a bowl.
- Add butter and boiling water and mix until combined.
- Spread the icing evenly across the slice and sprinkle the remaining coconut on top.
- Once set, cut up the slice and enjoy.
Serve with some whipped cream for dessert!