There’s nothing like a nostalgic recipe from your childhood to get your tastebuds working and this one is an absolute Aussie classic! Weet-Bix are a common breakfast staple for many Aussies, but mums and grandmas around the country have been converting them into this delicious and budget-friendly slice for years.
This recipe is a great way to use up stale Weet-Bix, although fresh is fine, too. Just like the original recipe, this version uses cocoa powder, crunchy Weet-Bix, brown sugar and desiccated coconut, with a layer of milk chocolate poured over the top to finish. Whip up a batch as a treat for your grandkids or enjoy them yourself for afternoon tea!
- 3200g butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 12 Weet-Bix, crushed by hand
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 200g milk chocolate
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Ad. Article continues below.
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Prepare a slice tin by lining with baking paper and greasing.
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the slice pan and even out.
- Place the slice in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Set aside to cool while you make the icing.
- Melt the chocolate, then mix in the vegetable oil together.
- Spread over the top of the cool slice.
- Place in the fridge for 2 hours before slicing.