Succulent sausage and bacon casserole
A new take on a family favourite. Source: Getty
Remember the days as a kid where you’d come home after a long day of school to a house that smelt like a delicious casserole?
If your mother was anything like ours, she’d probably have a casserole stewing in a slow cooker all day.
You’ve probably got your own recipe when it comes to casseroles, but here’s one that’s worth a try if you’re looking for a challenge in the kitchen.
If our family is anything to go by, yours is going to love this dish.
Ad. Article continues below.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 6 sausages
- 6 slices streaky bacon
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 zucchinis
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tbsp chicken stock
- 400 g drained beans
- Fry oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Add sausages and bacon to the pan, cooking until brown.
- Cut the sausages into small chunks.
- Cut the bacon rashers into small pieces.
- Chop onion, garlic, zucchinis and tomato.
- Fry onion and garlic for three minutes, then add zucchinis, tomatoes, puree, sugar and chilli to pan. Cook for four mins.
- Add bacon and sausages to pan with stock and beans.
- Bring to the boil then turn down to simmer for 10 mins.
- Let cool before eating.
Feel free to substitute any of the vegetables with ones your family prefer. Carrot and celery tend to work a treat.
Loading Next Article
Love starts at sixty? Get our most popular stories delivered today. Join Us
Never Miss a story join us today