Lasagne is a delicious dish, but it sometimes can be hard to find an equally good vegetarian option.
For a healthy dinner the whole family will love, this tasty vegetarian lasagne is a must-try! This fantastic recipe includes pumpkin, zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, tomatoes and spinach, all thrown in together to create a nourishing flavour.
Serve on its own or paired with a fresh garden salad with simple lemon and olive oil dressing.
- 800g butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 1cm-thick slices
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, halved, sliced
- 1 medium eggplant, chopped
- 200g button mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 80g baby spinach
- 30g butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 125g dried lasagne sheets
Ad. Article continues below.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line baking tray with baking paper.
- Arrange pumpkin, in single layer, on tray.
- Drizzle with two teaspoons oil and bake for 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, capsicum, zucchini, eggplant and mushroom.
- Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato. Bring to boil and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Stir in spinach. Cover and set aside for two minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in saucepan over medium heat until foaming.
- Add flour. Cook, stirring with wooden spoon, for one minute.
- Gradually add milk, stirring to prevent lumps forming. Return pan to heat.
- Stir in half the cheese (1/2 cup) and set aside.
- Lightly grease a square baking dish.
- Spoon half the vegetable mixture into dish and arrange half pumpkin over vegetable mixture.
- Place half of lasagne sheets over pumpkin (breaking sheets to fit). Repeat layers.
- Spoon sauce over top and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden.