As the winter weather begins to set in and the rainy days become more regular, a big bowl of pasta is often needed. Quick and easy, spaghetti carbonara is the perfect option, whether it be for a big family get together or to be stored and saved for dinners throughout the week.
With most ingredients common pantry or fridge items, this dish won’t break the bank, but will fill tummies.
- 375g spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g thick shortcut bacon rashers
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup thickened cream
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan
- Extra finely grated parmesan to serve
- Boil water with a dash of salt in a saucepan. Cook pasta until tender and once drained return to saucepan.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a frying pan over a moderate temperature. Cut bacon into small slices and add to pan, cooking for a few minutes before adding in crushed garlic cloves and cooking for a further minute.
- In a bowl whisk together eggs, yolks, cream and parmesan. Once combined add mixture to saucepan with pasta and bacon mixture.
- Cook on a low heat for one minute until pasta is well covered with mixtures and the sauce has started to thicken. Serve with extra parmesan if desired.