You know those times you’re really craving something sweet, and could definitely go for some cake, but can’t be bothered actually baking a full cake? That’s where mug cakes come in to their own! Made in a mug, in the microwave, these treats are all the flavour with none of the effort – or washing up!
They’re also great if you’re cooking for only yourself, or just want a one-off dessert without being tempted to over-indulge. Give it a try on a cold night in with a favourite movie to watch. It beats a cup of hot chocolate hands down!
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Extra cream or vanilla ice cream to serve
- In a large coffee mug, combine butter, egg, and cream. Stir in flour and sugar, then add cocoa, vanilla, and salt and stir until just combined, then stir through chocolate chips.
- Cook in microwave on high for two minutes, then set aside for 5-10 minutes to cool.
- Add a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of cream (or spoil yourself with both!) and tuck in!