What makes a better lazy weekend afternoon tea treat than freshly baked scones? These delicious sour cream, cheddar and chive scones will be just heavenly with a good smear of butter and a big cup of tea or coffee, especially if you’re lucky enough to get a bit of sunshine to enjoy it outside!
Perfect if you’re having guests, and easy to make too. Your visitors will be super impressed when you dish out these beauties!
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, cold and grated
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped chives
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 22oC and line a baking tray with nonstick baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper. Rub in grated butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs.
- Add grated cheese and chives, stirring to combine. Mix in butter milk and sour cream until just combined – take care not to over-mix.
- Roll out dough in a thick sheet and cut rounds using a scone cutter or a floured glass and arrange on tray.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden-brown. Serve warm, with butter.