Over time your pillows can develop a dirty yellow staining on them, from sweat and dead skin.
Depending on the fabric of your pillow, the staining can become quite severe over an extended period of time.
Even if you have pillow covers underneath your pillow cases, you may have noticed the yellowing can still occur. Many people simply toss the pillow and buy a new one when this occurs however, there is a solution. It’ll work like a charm!
What you need:
- HOT water
- 1 cup laundry detergent
- 1 cup powdered dishwasher detergent
- 1/2 cup bleach
Before washing check the care label on the pillow to confirm it can machine washed.
Image source: Practicallyfunctional.com
- Start the machine and make sure all the detergent dissolves before adding the pillows (top loading washing machine). For a front loading machine, fill a tub with the mixture and do the soaking there before transferring to washing machine.
- Once dissolved, add the pillows and allow the washer to fill the rest of the way with hot water.
- Agitate the pillows for several minutes; turn pillows over to make sure the top of the pillow get the full effect.
- Put machine on a second rinse cycle or just run through twice.
- Down/feather pillows: use low key setting. Place couple of tennis balls in clean socks to help fluff the pillows as they tumble dry. Or simply set pillows outside in the sun to dry.