This chicken version of the classic paella dish will instantly become a family favourite thanks to the delicious taste and how easy it is to whip up. In under an hour, using a handful of everyday ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry, you can cook this simple, super-filling dish either for yourself or for your family and friends. This is also a fantastic option for cooking in bulk as it can be divided into containers to enjoy throughout the week as pre-made lunches and dinners, or even frozen for a later date. Stocked full of veggies and protein, this healthier dish is going to have absolutely everyone asking you for the recipe!
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (125g each) chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika
- 1 medium red capsicum, chopped
- 2 cups white medium-grain rice
- 3 cups salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Combine saffron threads and boiling water in a heat-proof bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large saucepan over high heat. Cook chicken and onion for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and softened.
- Add paprika, capsicum and rice to pan. Stir well to coat. Pour in saffron mixture and stock. Bring mixture to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 18 minutes or until rice is just tender. Add peas and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Serve.