It’s been more than a month since Prince Philip died, and now details of his will have been revealed, with the Duke of Edinburgh generously giving a chunk of his fortune to three former employees.
While the majority of his estate is likely to have been left to Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, who died on April 9 at Windsor Castle at the age of 99, also designated money to three close staffers, The Sun reports. The late prince reportedly left an estimated £30 million (AU$55 million) when he died last month.
“Unlike some other royals, Prince Philip will be generous to the three men who looked after him,” a royal insider exclusively told the news outlet.
“These include his private secretary Brigadier Archie Miller Bakewell, his page William Henderson and valet Stephen Niedojadlo.”
According to The Sun, all three men were fairly close to the prince, especially during his last few years. Bakewell frequently stood in for Philip when he couldn’t make an engagement, while Henderson and Niedojadlo took turns keeping him company. After retiring from public duties in August 2017, Philip spent most of his time at Sandringham Estate in Norfolk. However, instead of residing at Sandringham House, he preferred the five-bedroom farmhouse called Wood Farm.
The insider also claimed Philip’s grandchildren, including Prince Harry who has caused quite the scene since stepping down from his official duties last year, have all been left something.
“Philip was not the sort of character to punish a grandson for misbehaving. He was a very fair, even-handed and lovely man. Never held a grudge.
“Philip had plenty of time to sort out all the legal stuff so it wouldn’t attract inheritance tax. He was no more of a fan of leaving his cash to the Treasury than anyone else.”
A spokesperson for Buckingham Palace declined to confirm the contents of the will. “This is a personal matter for the family and as such arrangements are private,” the palace said in a statement to the news outlet.
Philip’s will may come as a surprise to some as it was reported earlier this week that Prince Harry’s latest comments have “deeply upset” Queen Elizabeth II.
Since officially stepping down from royal duties last year, Prince Harry has spoken publicly about royal life several times, and has taken more than a few digs at family members. His most recent targets were his father Prince Charles and grandparents the Queen and the late Prince Philip. A royal source told the Mail on Sunday that the Queen has taken Harry’s latest comments personally.