Where is Princess Charlene? Royal reveals real reason why she can’t come home

Aug 03, 2021
New photos reveal a sad Princess Charlene video calling her family. Source: Instagram/@hshprincesscharlene

Monaco’s Princess Charlene left the country in early May, with the royal revealing her initial 10-12 day South Africa trip had to be extended due to an illness, and it could still be months until she’s back with her family.

The rumour mill was in full swing in early July after it was revealed the princess spent her ten-year anniversary apart from her husband Prince Albert, the sovereign ruler of Monaco.

News they’d be spending the anniversary apart sparked rumours of an impending split with publications quick to remember the tear-filled wedding and talk that she had tried to flee the country right before the big day, following reports Albert had fathered another illegitimate child.

The palace quickly released a statement clearing up the rumours, stating the princess would be needing multiple medical “procedures” that will keep her in South Africa “indefinitely”, leaving her husband and their six-year-old twins, Gabriella and Jacques, alone in Monaco.

Now, the 43-year-old royal has spoken to South Africa Radio 702 and revealed it is still “a waiting game” but she expects to be able to leave South Africa around the end of October after another medical procedure, People reported. The outlet revealed she had a sinus lift/bone graft in preparation for dental implants, but she soon developed an infection that left her unable to fly.

“Initially I was supposed to be here for 10 to 12 days, unfortunately, I had a problem equalising my ears, and I found out through the doctors that I had a sinus infection and quite a serious one,” she said.

“So, it’s taking time to address this problem that I’m having. I cannot force healing, so I will be grounded in South Africa until the end of October.”

Last month the princess shared a selection of heartbreaking pictures on her Instagram, showing the mum of two video-calling her twins “Jacqui and Bella” via Facetime.

The mother of two told Radio 702 that despite the upcoming procedure she is feeling “very well”, but the time away from her family had been “tough”.

“This is the longest period I’ve actually been away from Europe and my children,” she said.

“As I say, it’s just a waiting game. I cannot predict how my healing process will go. But yeah, I’m very sad I can’t be with my children during this summer in Europe.”

Do you have any get well wishes for the princess?

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up