Princess Beatrice’s royal wedding could be cancelled due to coronavirus

Mar 19, 2020
The couple announced their wedding date earlier this year. Source: Getty.

The world was no doubt looking forward to the pomp and circumstance of another royal wedding later this year, however as coronavirus continues to spread across the globe, it looks like Princess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi could be forced to call off their nuptials.

A palace spokesperson told British news outlet The Sun that the couple are considering their options and have not yet decided whether to call off their big day entirely, or have a private ceremony attended by a small number of family and friends instead.

Many brides and grooms around the world are facing this difficult situation right now, as the number of confirmed cases and fatalities steadily rises, triggering governments to make the decision to limit how many people can gather in a single location.

Guidelines around the elderly, and how best to protect the health of those over 60, could also heavily impact Princess Beatrice’s plans, as her grandparents Her Majesty the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are 93 and 98 years old respectively.

“Princess Beatrice and Mr Mapelli Mozzi are very much looking forward to getting married but are equally aware of the need to avoid undertaking any unnecessary risks in the current circumstances,” a Buckingham Palace spokesperson told The Sun. “In line with government advice for the UK and beyond, the couple are reviewing their arrangements for 29th May.”

The source added: “They are particularly conscious of government advice in relation to both the wellbeing of older family members and large gatherings of people. Therefore, the planned reception in the Buckingham Palace Gardens will not take place.

“The couple will carefully consider government advice before deciding whether a private marriage might take place amongst a small group of family and friends.”

Princess Beatrice and property tycoon Edo, who has a young son from a previous relationship, released details about their upcoming wedding to the public just last month. In an official statement, the British royal family confirmed that the pair would tie the knot at the Chapel Royal, which is located within the grounds of St James’s Palace, on May 29.

“The wedding of HRH Princess Beatrice of York and Mr. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi will take place on Friday 29 May 2020,” a statement on the royal family’s Instagram page read.

“Her Majesty The Queen has kindly given permission for the ceremony to take place at The Chapel Royal, St James’s Palace. The ceremony will be followed by a private reception, given by The Queen, in the gardens of Buckingham Palace.”

Sue's sassy!

She became a member of Starts at 60 and got access to amazing travel deals, free masterclasses, exclusive news and features and hot member discounts!

And she entered to win a $10K trip for four people to Norfolk Island in 2021. Join now, it’s free to become a member. Members get more.

email

Have you been following this story?

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up