BREAKING: Breakthrough in Victorian missing campers case as suspect arrested

Nov 23, 2021
Suspect arrested in missing campers case. Source: Instagram/caffeinecrimeandcanines

A man has been arrested in relation to the case of missing Victorian campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay.

The Missing Persons squad took a 55-year-old Caroline Springs man into custody on Monday, November 21 at 5.30pm, as reported by the Herald Sun.

Victoria Police told 9 News the investigation into the disappearance is ongoing.

“Detectives from the Missing Persons Squad have arrested a man as part of the investigation into missing campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay,” police said in a statement.

“The 55-year-old Caroline Springs man was arrested about 5.30pm yesterday and will be interviewed by police this morning.

“The investigation into the matter remains ongoing.”

The suspect is expected to be questioned by police on Tuesday.

Russell Hill and Carol Clay were last heard from on March 20, 2020 when they were camping in the Wonnangatta Valley in Victoria. The couple’s campsite was discovered by campers on March 21 completely destroyed by fire near Dry River Creek Track. Hill’s vehicle was also found with signs of minor fire damage.

Victoria Police Detective Inspector Andrew Stamper told reporters on November 8 that an alleged third party may have been involved in a confrontation with the two missing campers after detectives released new images of a blue four-wheel drive, believed to be a mid to late 1990s model Nissan Patrol, which was seen in the area at the time of the couple’s disappearance.

“Maybe someone in that blue four-wheel drive was parked and camped in the same area and that could have prompted some contact which may have been a confrontational or aggressive contact,” he said.

“We know Russell was a very peaceful and law-abiding man and he worked in the wilderness and some very tough jobs, so he wasn‘t someone who would necessarily take a backwards step either.

“So if there’s been some sort of argument, maybe it’s escalated from there.”

No charges have been laid yet, according to Victoria Police.

More to come.

Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up