Queen ‘quits Buckingham Palace’ over coronavirus fears

Mar 15, 2020
Her Majesty, 93, has been taken to Windsor Castle after Cobra crisis talks. Source: Getty.

The Queen has reportedly left Buckingham Palace over coronavirus fears. According to multiple reports, Her Majesty, 93, has been taken to Windsor Castle after Cobra crisis talks.

The Sun reports plans are in place to quarantine her and Prince Phillip, 98, at Sandringham if the outbreak worsens. The total number of confirmed cases in the UK has reached 1,140.

While she is in good health, the staff thought it was best to relocate her now. “The Palace hosts a constant stream of visitors including politicians and dignitaries from around the world,” a royal source told the publication.

“The Queen has met a lot of people there until recently. But she is weeks away from her 94th birthday and advisers believe it is best to get her out of harm’s way.”

The news comes after Buckingham Palace announced Queen Elizabeth is postponing engagements in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

“As a sensible precaution and for practical reasons in the current circumstances, changes are being made to The Queen’s diary commitments in the coming weeks,” the Palace said in a statement on Friday.

“In consultation with the Medical Household and Government, Her Majesty’s forthcoming visits to Cheshire and Camden will be rescheduled. Audiences will continue as usual. Other events will be reviewed on an ongoing basis in line with the appropriate advice.”

Earlier on Friday, Prince Charles and his wife Camilla announced they were postponing their spring tour of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Jordan and Cyprus due to the escalating coronavirus pandemic.

“Owing to the unfolding situation with the Coronavirus pandemic, the British Government has asked Their Royal Highnesses to postpone their spring tour to Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cyprus and Jordan,” Clarence House said in a statement.

Meanwhile, earlier in the week, Prince Charles took precautions against coronavirus as he attended the Prince’s Trust Awards in London. Instead of following the usual royal protocol and shaking hands with fellow guests, the 71-year-old was pictured using a ‘namaste’ gesture as he greeted guests, including actor Pierce Brosnan, instead.

Prince Charles uses alternative gesture as he greets Pierce Brosnan. Source: Getty.

Photographs from the event showed the Prince of Wales using a namaste gesture – used mainly in yoga practice – to greet guests at the event.

Join the community that will get you through the hard times ahead.

Starts at 60 is the community you need when Covid-19 is changing life as we know it. We stick together, help each other, share information and have a whole lot of fun online.

Join for interactive online events, expert advice, timely news, great deals and community conversation.

Have you been affected by coronavirus?

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up