Over the past few months, several claims of sexual misconduct have emerged against House of Cards actor Kevin Spacey, with stars such as Guy Pearce and Anthony Rapp accusing the Hollywood actor of inappropriate behaviour.
However it was confirmed on Wednesday that Spacey, 59, would not face charges in relation to an alleged incident that took place in October 1992, with prosecutors from the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office saying the supposed crime was “beyond the statute of limitations” according to local station KCAL9.
The D.A.’s office announced that the Golden Globe-winning actor would not have charges filed against him, along with two other stars who had been accused of misconduct in the wake of the #MeToo movement.
Prosecutors opted not to file charges, stating that the date of the alleged incident, involving a male in West Hollywood almost 26 years ago, was beyond the period in which charges could be brought.
In October last year, Spacey issued a public apology to fellow actor Anthony Rapp after he was accused of making sexual advances towards him when he was just 14 years old. Rather than deny the incident, which was alleged to have taken place in 1986, Spacey claimed to not remember, apologising anyway. In the statement Spacey also revealed he was gay.
“I have a lot of respect and admiration for Anthony Rapp as an actor,” he said. “I’m beyond horrified to hear his story. I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago.
“But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behaviour, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years.”
Earlier this year, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert star Guy Pearce claimed that Kevin Spacey was “handsy” while they were filming 1997 movie L.A. Confidential together, as he appeared in a bombshell interview with Andrew Denton.
Pearce, 50, who sat down on Denton’s Interview show said: “Tough one to talk about at the moment. Amazing actor. Incredible actor. Slightly difficult time with Kevin, yeah.
“He’s a handsy guy.”
It was also confirmed on Wednesday that Steven Seagal and Black-ish star Anthony Anderson would also not face charges in relations to claims made against them. Seagal, who was implicated in a case dating back to 1993, did not have charges filed as the alleged incident was also beyond the statute of limitations, prosecutors said. While, in the case of Anderson, prosecutors claimed there was a “lack of sufficient evidence” as the alleged victim declined to be interviewed, reports KCAL9.