Prince Philip has been admitted to hospital for treatment of a pre-existing condition while his wife the Queen settles into Christmas festivities at the royal family’s residence in Norfolk.
Buckingham Palace has confirmed the 98-year-old is currently in the King Edward VII Hospital for observation under the advice of his doctor, according to multiple news outlets.
In a statement released on Friday the royal family said the prince’s stay at the hospital is a “precautionary measure” and isn’t an emergency situation.
“The Duke of Edinburgh travelled from Norfolk this morning to the King Edward VII Hospital in London for observation and treatment in relation to a pre-existing condition,” it said according to multiple publications.
“The admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of his Royal Highness’ doctor.”
It was not revealed what the pre-existing condition was, but the royal was admitted to the same hospital in April last year for an operation on his hip. He is expected to remain in hospital for a few days.
Meanwhile, on Friday the Queen travelled to Norfolk to Sandringham Estate for Christmas celebrations with the royal family. The 93-year-old looked gorgeous in a pale pink coat and matching coloured dress as she arrived in King’s Lynn in England.
She rugged up with a pastel coloured scarf over her head and a pale pink scarf around her neck. Meanwhile, she carried her favourite black handbag and black flats in the chilly weather.
Other members of the royal family are expected to join the Queen over the comin days for their annual Christmas celebrations. However, the Prince Harry and Meghan will spend the festive season elsewhere with their son Archie.
Every year, senior members of the British royal family gather at the monarch’s Norfolk estate to celebrate Christmas, attending a service at St Mary Magdalene Church and adhering to a strict schedule. But the duke and duchess, along with baby Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor, will spend the day with Meghan’s mum Doria Ragland instead.
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are looking forward to extended family time towards the end of this month,” a palace spokesperson said in a statement, reports The Telegraph. “Having spent the last two Christmases at Sandringham, [the couple] will spend the holiday this year, as a new family, with the duchess’ mother, Doria.
“This decision is in line with precedent set previously by other members of the royal family, and has the support of Her Majesty The Queen.”
She became a member of Starts at 60 and got access to amazing travel deals, free masterclasses, exclusive news and features and hot member discounts!
And she entered to win a $10K trip for four people to Norfolk Island in 2021. Join now, it’s free to become a member. Members get more.