It’s been a tumultuous few weeks for Prince Andrew as the duke continues to make headlines after becoming embroiled in the Jeffrey Epstein scandal. And now, the senior royal’s accuser has spoken out in a tell-all interview with the BBC.
Just weeks after Prince Andrew sat down with the network and gave his first ever interview about his links to the convicted US paedophile, Virginia Guiffre (formerly Virginia Roberts) has spoken candidly about her alleged experiences with the prince in an hour-long episode of Panorama which aired in the UK on Monday evening.
Virginia claims to have been introduced to Andrew when she was just 17 years old after being trafficked to London by late billionaire Epstein, with the meeting said to have taken place at the home of Epstein’s then-girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell. However the Duke of York has vehemently denied the allegations, claiming he has “no recollection of ever meeting Virginia”.
After being introduced at Ghislaine’s Belgravia home on March 10 2001, Virginia claims the group went on to Tramps nightclub in London where she says Andrew bought her a vodka from the bar and asked her to dance before heading back to the house where she claims to have had sex with the royal.
“Andrew drives in the other car, he’s not with us, he’s with security guards,” she told the program. “In the car Ghislaine tells me I have to do for Andrew what I do for Jeffrey and that made me sick. I just didn’t expect it from reality.”
She added: “There was a bath and it started there and then it led into the bedroom. It didn’t last very long, the whole, entire procedure. It was disgusting. He wasn’t mean or anything. He got up and said thanks and walked out. I sat there in bed just horrified and ashamed.
“It was a wicked time in my life. It was a really scary time in my life.”
Virginia Giuffre says she was trafficked to London for sex with Prince Andrew in March 2001, when she was 17 years old.
The Prince has categorically denied this claim.
— BBC Panorama (@BBCPanorama) December 2, 2019
Virginia’s candid interview comes just weeks after Prince Andrew gave a similarly open interview to the BBC’s Newsnight program in which he claimed that the allegations made by Virginia “absolutely, categorically never happened”.
During the interview, which was recorded at Buckingham Palace, reporter Emily Maitlis asked Andrew: “One of Epstein’s accusers Virginia Roberts has made allegations against you. She says she met you in 2001. She says you dined with you, danced with you at Tramp nightclub in London. She went on to have sex with you in a house in Belgravia, belonging to Ghislaine Maxwell, your friend. Your response?”
Shaking his head, Andrew responded: “I have no recollection of ever meeting this lady.”
"I have no recollection of ever meeting this lady."
The Duke of York has spoken for the first time about his links to Jeffrey Epstein and the allegations against him https://t.co/YfWs2EAi6v
— BBC Newsnight (@BBCNewsnight) November 15, 2019
Following a backlash after the interview was aired last month, the duke announced he would be stepping down from his royal duties “for the foreseeable future”.
In a statement, Prince Andrew said that in the days since the interview, it had become clear to him that his association with Epstein, whom he last saw in 2010, had become a major distraction to the royal family’s work and that of the charities and organisations he supported.
“Therefore, I have asked Her Majesty if I may step back from public duties for the foreseeable future and she has given her permission,” he said in the statement. “I continue to unequivocally regret my ill-judged association with Jeffrey Epstein. His suicide has left many unanswered questions, particularly for his victims, and I deeply sympathise with everyone who has been affected and wants some form of closure.
“I can only hope that, in time, they will be able to rebuild their lives.”
Back in August, Epstein was found dead from an apparent suicide in his cell in Metropolitan Correctional Center (sic), where he was awaiting trial on charges of conspiracy and sex trafficking. He was rushed to New York Downtown Hospital but later pronounced dead.
His death came just days after a lawsuit from one of his alleged victims was unsealed, naming Prince Andrew and more of his former high profile friends.