A popular cheese product has been ripped from shelves across Australia after a recall was issued over concerns of a potential E.coli contamination.
Mortlake Organic Dairy conducted the recall of their L’Artisan Organic Marcel 180g following concerns the product could cause illness, Food Standard Australia and New Zealand announced in a statement.
“The recall is due to microbial (E.coli) contamination,” the statement said.
“Food products contaminated with E.coli may cause illness if consumed.
“Any consumers concerned about their health should seek medical advice and should return the product to the place of purchase for a full refund.”
⚠️ Food Recall ⚠️Mortlake Organic Dairy is conducting a recall of L'Artisan Organic Marcel 180g (best before 8/3/2022) due to a potential microbial contamination.
— FoodStandardsAusNZ (@FSANZnews) February 14, 2022
The product in question has been available for sale at independent food retailers including IGA in Victoria and Queensland.
Independent food retailers in South Australia and select Coles Local stores in Victoria also stock the product.
According to the World Health Organisation, “most strains of E. coli are harmless, however some strains can cause severe foodborne disease” with the most common symptoms including fever, vomiting, cramps and diarrhoea.
L’Artisan Organic Marcel isn’t the first dairy product to undergo an urgent recall this year, on January 19 supermarkets such as Woolworths and Coles were forced to remove a number of Devondale and Woolworths Butter ranges after a potential microbial contamination.
Food Standards Australia announced the recall in a statement at the time, which included Devondale and Woolworths Butter ranges.
“Saputo Dairy Australia Pty Ltd is conducting a recall of various butter and spreadable butter blend products. The products have been available for sale nationally at various outlets including Woolworths, Coles, ALDI, independent supermarkets and Costco,” a statement said.
“The recall is due to a potential microbial contamination. Food products with a microbial contamination may cause illness if consumed.”