News digest: Europe in lockdown, Palaszczuk reelected and William’s secret Covid fight

Nov 02, 2020
Britain’s Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced a four-week lockdown over the weekend. Source: Getty.

As Australia appears to tighten its hold on the Covid-19 pandemic, many European countries are being overwhelmed by cases. Over the weekend several countries, including France, Belgium, Germany and the United Kingdom, announced they would impose another state of lockdown in a bid to slow the spread of the virus.

French President Emmanuel Macron announced that the nation would enter a second national lockdown last week after France recorded a record number of new cases on Saturday. Speaking in a national televised address, Macron said the evolution of the virus had surpassed “even the most pessimistic projections”.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel warned her citizens they faced “difficult months ahead” on Saturday. While British Prime Minister Boris Johnson confirmed the country would enter a four-week period of lockdown yesterday, despite the details already having been leaked.

From Thursday, all non-essential businesses in the UK will be forced to close their doors once again, and international travel will cease. However schools, colleges and universities will be allowed to remain open.

“Christmas is going to be different this year, perhaps very different, but it’s my sincere hope and belief that by taking tough action now we can allow families across the country to be together,” Johnson said.

It comes as Victoria recorded no new cases over the weekend, leading Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton to hint that an announcement may soon be made regarding the mandatory wearing of face masks. Currently, Victorians must wear a fitted face mask whenever they leave their homes, however Sutton told 7News if there’s no coronavirus transmission at all in the state “masks are not a requirement”.

In Queensland however, Covid was not the top news story over the weekend. The biggest story out of Brisbane was that Annastacia Palaszczuk had been returned as premier, defeating LNP’s Deb Frecklington. Despite losing at the polls, the Opposition Leader vowed to continue as LNP leader during her concession speech on Saturday.

And back in the UK, it has been revealed that Prince William secretly battled Covid-19 back in April, after his father Prince Charles contracted the virus.

According to reports out of the UK, the Duke of Cambridge was treated by palace doctors and isolated at the family home Anmer Hall, in Norfolk. He is reportedly said to have kept his diagnosis quiet as he did not want to alarm the nation, however The Sun claims that he was left “struggling to breathe”.

Share:
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Pinterest

Sue's sassy!

She became a member of Starts at 60 and got access to amazing travel deals, free masterclasses, exclusive news and features and hot member discounts!

And she entered to win a $10K trip for four people to Norfolk Island in 2021. Join now, it’s free to become a member. Members get more.

email

What are your thoughts on today's top stories?

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up