William Tyrrell search enters final days

Dec 15, 2021
Bone fragment found in William Tyrrell search. Source: Instagram/ @caffeinecrimeandcanines

New South Wales Police have announced the current search for the remains of William Tyrrell will come to an end in the coming days as police continue to forensically test evidence.

Renewed search efforts, announced November 15, have been ongoing in the Kendall area where the three-year-old went missing in 2014. Several pieces of evidence have been seized since the searches began, police have also scoured the Kendall property where William went missing, dug up the garden below the second-floor balcony, and sifted through vast volumes of dirt for any clues as to the boy’s disappearance.

On Tuesday, November 14, NSW Police announced in a statement that the current search operations would draw to a close.

“The NSW Police Force advise current inquiries and search operations being undertaken in the Kendall area are expected to be completed in coming days,” the statement read.

“The forensic search, which is being conducted under a Coronial Order as part of ongoing investigations into the disappearance of William Tyrrell, has been ongoing since Monday 15 November 2021.

“Once the search operation is complete, a team will facilitate a repatriation of the site.”

Police will continue testing the evidence collected so far as investigations continue.

“Further, forensic examinations of seized items and a significant quantity of soil remain ongoing,” the statement said.

“Deputy State Coroner Harriet Grahame has been appraised, and Strike Force Rosann detectives continue to prepare a brief for the information of Her Honour.

“The NSW Police Force remains committed to finding William Tyrrell and investigations by the Homicide Squad’s Strike Force Rosann are ongoing.”

It’s been seven years since William disappeared from his foster grandmother’s house in New South Wales. He had been playing in the front yard of the property in Kendall, and was wearing a Spider-Man suit at the time of his disappearance. Despite extensive investigations and an exhaustive search by hundreds of volunteers and emergency service workers, the then three-year-old has not been found.

Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up