Police zero in on ‘one person’ in William Tyrrell case

Nov 16, 2021
Police have revealed a single suspect in the case of missing William Tyrrell. Source: Instagram/ @whereswilliamtyrell

New South Wales (NSW) Police have revealed they are looking at one suspect in the case of missing child William Tyrrell.

It’s been seven years since William Tyrrell vanished from his foster grandmother’s house in New South Wales. He had been playing in the front yard of the property in Kendall, and was wearing a Spider-Man suit at the time of his disappearance. Despite extensive investigations and an exhaustive search by hundreds of volunteers and emergency service workers, the then three-year-old has not been found.

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller told 2GB Radio that the investigation has narrowed its focus to one suspect.

“There’s one person in particular we’re looking closely at,” he said.

“I am confident that the team that has the investigation now can solve it.”

The latest development comes as NSW Police commence their “high intensity” search of three locations in the town of Kendall where William disappeared. Detectives from Strike Force Rosann will conduct fresh searches, involving hundreds of police officers, which police anticipate will run over the next two to three weeks.

Detective Chief Superintendent Darren Bennett told reporters on November 15 that the renewed search efforts were in response to recent evidence obtained during the ongoing investigation.

“This activity is in response to evidence we’ve obtained in the course of the investigation, it’s not speculative in any way,” he said.

“We are acting on behalf of the Coroner and in conjunction with the coronial orders, she will be kept updated with regard to our progress.”

Bennett said he was “very hopeful that we can bring this matter to some form of conclusion” but stressed that it was unlikely William would be found alive.

“I don’t know who took William. We are hoping to find out throughout this investigation,” he said.

“It’s highly likely that if we found something it would be a body. We are looking for the remains of William Tyrrell, no doubt about that.”

A $1 million reward, that was announced in 2016, for information that would lead to the recovery of Tyrrell is still available.

Have you been following the latest news on William Tyrrell?

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up