Gary Jubelin hits back at criticism over ‘wasted’ William Tyrrell investigation

Nov 18, 2021
Gary Jubelin has slammed NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller over William Tyrrell case criticism. Source: Getty Images & Instagram/@icatchkillers

The former lead investigator on the William Tyrrell case has slammed criticism from the New South Police Commissioner that the investigation was left in a “mess”.

Gary Jubelin became a well-known public figure when he led the investigation into William Tyrrell’s disappearance for more than four years from early 2015 until 2019. He was stood down as the head of Strike Force Rosann not long before he left the NSW Police force.

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller made an unexpected criticism, on 2GB Radio, concerning how the investigation was handled in the early days of the case.

“The investigation was looking at some persons of interest that were clearly not, and I think some time was wasted on that, and bushland is overgrown,” he said.

“But a new team on-board … inherited what was a bit of a mess and have cleaned up that investigation.”

Jubilen defended the way the case was handled on 2GB Radio, on November 18, while addressing the recent criticism.

“I‘ve been watching and I give respect to the police. I know they’re in there. They’re trying hard,” he said.

“The timing of information that’s been released is a big coincidence, certain things and the way it’s playing out very, very publicly.

“I sit here very confidently and that’s why I take issue when I hear comments that the investigation was in a shambles when it was taken over.

“I rely on my experience along with my gut but I always defer to the facts.”

William Tyrrell vanished from his foster grandmother’s house in New South Wales seven years ago. He had been playing in the front yard of the property in Kendall, and was wearing a Spider-Man suit at the time of his disappearance. Despite extensive investigations and an exhaustive search by hundreds of volunteers and emergency service workers, the then three-year-old has not been found.

Authorities have been conducting fresh searches in the town of Kendall for any clues to the whereabouts of William Tyrrell. Police have scoured the property where William went missing seven years ago, dug up the garden below the second-floor balcony, and sifted through dirt for any clues on the boy’s disappearance. Detectives have also seized a vehicle for forensic examination as part of the ongoing investigations.

Detective Chief Superintendent Darren Bennett told reporters on November 15 that the renewed search efforts and investigations were in response to recent evidence obtained during the ongoing investigation.

“This activity is not speculative in any way,” he said.

Bennett said he was “very hopeful that we can bring this matter to some form of conclusion” but stressed that it was unlikely William would be found alive.

“I don’t know who took William. We are hoping to find out throughout this investigation,” he said.

“It’s highly likely that if we found something it would be a body. We are looking for the remains of William Tyrrell, no doubt about that.”

Anyone with information about the disappearance of William Tyrrell or that may assist Strike Force Rosann detectives is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au.

Leave your comment

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up