If you’re looking for a cheap and easy midweek meal, you can’t ignore this deliciously good option for either lunch or dinner! With just a handful of ingredients and a method that’s so easy even the least-skilled cook could perfect it, you will instantly fall in love with these tuna and sweet potato cakes.
Serve these up alongside a green salad with a tangy dressing or with some steamed veggies to get a bigger, more filling meal. Add in some extra vegetables if you’re looking to increase the goodness or leave the recipe as is for a tasty and satisfying meal!
- 1 medium (about 300g) orange sweet potato (kumara), peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 x 425g can tuna chunks in brine, drained
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 25g (1/4 cup) dried (packaged) breadcrumbs
- Salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 crusty bread rolls
- Cook sweet potato in large saucepan of salted boiling water for 7-8 minutes or until tender. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Transfer to large bowl. Use potato masher or fork to mash sweet potato until coarsely mashed. Add tuna, egg and breadcrumbs, and stir until well combined. Season with pepper.
- Divide tuna mixture into 8 equal portions. Use wet hands to shape portions into 8cm patties.
- Heat oil in large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook for 3-4 minutes each side or until golden brown. Remove from heat. Divide among serving plates and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with bread rolls.