This classic dinner dish is perfect for those evenings when you’re searching for something hearty and cheesy but you don’t want to settle for anything too basic. And thanks to the mix of traditional Greek ingredients, this meal is just unique enough to keep it exciting without skimping on any flavour.
You won’t have to worry about this recipe straying too far from the original version that everyone knows and loves as it has essentially the entire traditional ingredients list and method. Serve this one up to family and friends or enjoy it all on your own! Yum!
- 2 large eggplant, thinly sliced
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 800g lamb mince
- 420g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 cup grated pizza cheese
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 75g butter
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- Spray eggplant with oil. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook eggplant, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer to a large plate.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned. Add tomatoes, cinnamon and allspice. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 30 minutes or until sauce is thick and liquid has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, make sauce Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until bubbling. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease an 8 cup-capacity ovenproof dish. Place one-third of the eggplant, slightly overlapping, over base of prepared dish. Spread half the meat sauce over eggplant. Repeat layers, ending with eggplant. Spread white sauce over eggplant. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden. Stand 15 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.