These chicken quesadillas are perfect when you’re on the go or want something light. The sauce not only helps flavour the vegetables, it ensures everything sticks together. (It’s awful when you go to take a bite of something delicious and it falls into a heap on the plate before you get it to your mouth!)
I do enjoy a meal that can be created and plated in 30 minutes or less. This is definitely one of those!
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 extra tsp
- 4 tsp plain flour
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 120ml chicken stock
- 1/2 red capsicum, chopped
- 120g sliced mushrooms
- 170g shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 170g shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 large flour tortillas
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and chilli powder. Cook, stirring, 1-2 minutes. Gradually whisk in stock. Add capsicum, mushrooms and chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spread half the vegetable mixture on a tortilla, leaving a 1-inch border all around. Top with a second tortilla. Cook, turning once, until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining oil, tortillas, and vegetable mixture.
- Slice into wedges and serve topped with desired garnishes (I used salsa, sour cream, sliced avocado and a squeeze of lime).