This mouthwatering dinner is one of those classic dishes that will just continue to come back time and time again.
With just a handful of cheap and easy ingredients, you can serve this nostalgic chicken dinner to family and friends or make it in bulk to meal prep for the rest of the week! Dish it up alongside some rice and you’re good to go!
- 3 teaspoons shaoxing wine
- 3 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 500g chicken breast fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
- Peanut oil, to deep-fry
- Lemon, sliced, to serve
- 4 green shallots, thinly sliced, to serve
- 125ml (1/2 cup) chicken stock
- 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons shaoxing wine
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 75g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 35g (1/4 cup) cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 125ml (1/2 cup) water, iced
- Combine wine and soy sauce in a bowl. Add chicken. Stir to coat. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in fridge for 20 minutes to marinate.
- Meanwhile, for the sauce, place stock, sugar, lemon juice, vinegar and wine in a saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 3 minutes. Combine cornflour and water in a bowl. Add to stock mixture. Simmer, stirring, for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- For the batter, whisk flours and baking powder together in a bowl. Add egg and water and whisk until just combined.
- Pour enough oil into a wok to come one-third of the way up the side. Heat over high heat until smoking. Drain chicken. Toss in batter. Use tongs to transfer half the chicken to wok. Cook for 4 minutes or until golden. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Arrange lemon slices on a platter. Top with chicken. Drizzle with the sauce. Sprinkle with shallots. Season with salt flakes.