Are you on the hunt for a fresh twist on an old classic? This beef stroganoff cottage pie is exactly that! With a mouthwatering flavour and a super-simple method and ingredients list, this fantastic dual recipe will quickly become your new favourite. Enjoy!
- 1kg gravy beef, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 cup beef style liquid stock
- 200g Swiss brown mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 100g cup mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Fresh chives, chopped, to serve
- Green beans, steamed, to serve
- 1.25kg sebago potatoes, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 50g butter, chopped
- Place beef in a large bowl. Add flour. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Heat oil in a 10-cup-capacity, heavy-based flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in 3 batches, for 5 to 6 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a heatproof bowl.
- Add onion to dish. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and paprika. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste, mustard and stock. Bring to the boil. Return beef to dish. Reduce heat to low. Cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 11⁄2 hours. Remove lid. Simmer for a further 1 hour. Add mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until beef is very tender. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream.
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced.
- Meanwhile make mash topping: Place potato in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Boil for 12 to 15 minutes or until potato is very tender. Drain well. Return potato to pan. Add sour cream and half of the butter. Mash until smooth and combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dollop beef mixture with mash topping. Spread to cover filling. Dot with remaining butter. Bake for 25 minutes or until top is golden. Stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with chives. Serve with beans.