There is something truly magical about this recipe. Somehow during the baking, the vanilla custard transforms into a layered custard cake.
If you like vanilla slice, you’re going to really enjoy this cake. It has a cake layer on the bottom and a creamy custard top. The cake layer may vary depending on your oven temperature.
- 4 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 3 tsp Madagascan vanilla bean paste
- 125g butter, melted then cooled
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 160C (fan-forced), grease with cooking spray or butter a rectangular brownie pan, approximately 20cm x 30cm. Use a square cake tin as an alternative.
- Combine egg yolks and sugar and mix with a stand mixer with a paddle attachment until light and creamy. Add vanilla bean paste and cooled, melted butter, mix until combined. Butter must be cooled before adding to mixture.
- Add flour and mix until just combined. Place half of the milk in a microwave safe jug and microwave for 30 seconds until warm. Add remaining cold milk to jug so that the milk is lukewarm. on the lowest mixer speed, gradually add milk to egg mixture in a steady stream, mixing until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, then gently fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the milk mixture using a spatula. Mix until just combined then add remaining egg whites 1/3 at a time. Be careful not to over mix, it’s okay to have some clumps of egg white remaining. The mixture will be the consistency of thin custard.
- Pour mixture into greased tray, gently smooth the surface with a spatula and bake for 45 minutes. During baking it may puff up at the sides — do not remove from oven, allow to bake the full time.
- Allow to fully cool in the tin, then refrigerate and cut into squares to serve.