Until recently, I’d never tried a black tea apple cake, but this recipe is amazing! I couldn’t believe how simple it was, and the flavours are sublime. It may well become a new favourite in your house.
- 2 apples (I used Fuji, but a Jonathan or Jonagold would be perfect too)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- 250g caster sugar
- 250g unsalted butter
- 1 2/3 cup self-raising flour
- 2 teabags Earl Grey tea
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line base of a 23cm springform cake tin.
- Peel and core apples, and cut into segments. Toss apples in honey and lemon juice, then set aside.
- Place eggs and sugar in a bowl and beat using an electric beater until light and fluffy. Melt butter and pour into egg mixture. Sift in flour, then add tea from teabags. Fold carefully to combine.
- Pour batter into cake tin and carefully lay apple slices over the top. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.