This healthy, delicious vegan curry is perfect for meat-free Mondays. With a nice balance of spices and a little bit of heat from the chilli, this quick-and-easy meal will warm your tummy on a cool evening.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3cm piece ginger, grated
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- pinch chilli flakes
- 1 tsp yeast extract (I used Vegemite but Marmite would also work)
- 4 tbsp red lentils
- 6 tbsp coconut cream
- 1 head of broccoli, broken into small florets
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp cashews, chopped (to mix with the sesame seeds)
- Cook onion on medium-high heat until soft, roughly 5-8 minutes. Remove and set aside. Place garlic, ginger and tomatoes in a food processor and blitz until puréed. Add onion to purée.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add spices, fry for about 10 seconds and add purée and yeast extract. Bubble together for 2 minutes, then add lentils and coconut cream.
- Cook lentils until they are tender, then add broccoli and cook for 4 minutes.
- Stir in chickpeas and spinach, squeeze over lemon and swirl through sesame seeds and cashews.
Serve with rice, if you like!