If you’re looking for a lighter option to pair with your afternoon tea cuppa, try this delicious banana and walnut bread! With some lighter ingredients such as a better-for-you sugar option, this tasty snack won’t leave you feeling too full for comfort.
Plus, there’s absolutely nothing better than some afternoon baking so if you’re stuck on what to whip up, try this sweet treat that will have absolutely everyone asking you for the recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/2 cup Low GI cane sugar, plus extra 1 tablespoon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1/2 cup apple puree
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising wholemeal flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, plus extra 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon low-fat yoghurt, to serve
- Preheat oven to 170C/150C fan-forced. Spray a 8cm x 19cm loaf tin with cooking oil spray.
- Using electric beaters, beat margarine with Low GI sugar for 2 mins, until combined. Beat in egg.
- With wooden spoon, stir in remaining ingredients and mix well to combine. Spoon into prepared loaf tin, sprinkle with extra sugar and extra walnuts.
- Bake for 1 hr, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 5 mins then turn out onto a wire rack. Slice and serve with yoghurt.