If you’re looking for a freezable dinner to cover you for the rest of the week – go no further then this mouthwatering vegetarian lasagne! With just a super simple ingredients list this dish is fairly cost-effective considering you won’t have to splurge for any pricey meats.
And while this is tasty enough that you’ll want to share it with family and friends, it’s also perfect for packing away and enjoying throughout the week. Serve it up with a piece of crusty bread to compliment the cheesy filling and you’re good to go!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 900g gold pumpkin, peeled, cut into 1.5cm cubes
- 2 x 400g cans brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 690g bottle Italian tomato passata
- 500g ricotta
- Good pinch ground nutmeg
- 375g packet fresh lasagne
- 120g packet baby spinach, trimmed, finely shredded
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar
- Rocket leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 190C (170C fan-forced). Grease a 26cm x 20cm x 6cm baking dish. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion for 5 mins or until soft and lightly golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 min. Add pumpkin, lentils and stock. Reserve 1 cup of the passata and stir the remaining passata into the pumpkin mixture. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat slightly and cook, covered, for 20 mins or until the pumpkin is tender and the mixture is thick. Transfer to a large bowl to cool slightly, then refrigerate until cold.
- Meanwhile, use a fork to mash the ricotta in a bowl. Stir in nutmeg. Season.
- Line the base of the prepared dish with a layer of lasagne sheets. Spread over half the pumpkin mixture, then top with another layer of lasagne sheets. Sprinkle with the ricotta mixture and use damp fingertips to spread evenly. Top with spinach, then cover with another layer of lasagne sheets.
- Spread over the remaining pumpkin mixture, then top with remaining lasagne sheets. Spread over the reserved passata to cover completely. Sprinkle with cheddar. Bake for 45 mins or until golden and cooked through. Serve with rocket.