Fish is an excellent source of protein and a good source of omega 3 fatty acids which are essential for heart health. By preparing the fish into ‘goujons’ (strips) this makes it suitable for individuals who require assistance with dexterity.
- 125gm Whole Egg Mayonnaise
- 10ml Lemon Juice
- 5gm Baby Capers – drain & finely chop
- 35gm Sweet Gherkins – drain & finely chop
- 30gm Red Onion – top, tail, peel, halve & finely dice
- To Taste – Sea Salt & Ground Black Pepper
- 750gm Washed Potatoes – cut into 2cm wide by 10cm long chips (yields approximately 20)
- As Required – Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray
- To Taste – Sea Salt
- 100gm Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 Lemons – finely zest
- ¼ tsp Ground Paprika
- 40 Flat Leaf Parsley Leaves – rinse, drain & finely chop.
- To Taste – Sea Salt
- 70gm Plain Flour
- 2 Eggs – crack & beat
- 650gm White Fish Fillets (Skin Off) – cut into 3cm wide by 10cm long strips (yields approximately 20)
- Pre-heat an oven to a moderate temperature – 160°C.
- In a mixing bowl, place the mayonnaise, lemon juice, capers, sweet gherkins and red onion, then mix until all of the ingredients have been thoroughly combined. Season to taste. Cover with cling-wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to allow the sauce’s flavours to further develop.
- Place the potato wedges into a saucepan, cover with cold water, place over a moderate heat and bring up to the boil, reduce the heat and allow the potatoes to simmer gently for 10 minutes or until just tender, remove from the heat, drain well and set to one side for 5 minutes to allow any excess moisture to evaporate.
- Lightly spray a roasting tray with oil, place 1 layer of the chips, slightly separated, onto the tray and lightly spray them with oil, turn them over, lightly spray oil again and lightly season.
- In a mixing bowl add the panko breadcrumbs, lemon zest, paprika and flat leaf parsley. Mix to thoroughly combine and season to taste.
- In a second mixing bowl add the plain flour.
- In a third mixing bowl add the eggs.
- In batches, place the fish into the plain flour, toss until evenly coated, remove and shake off any excess.
- Next, place the fish into the egg mixture and toss until evenly coated, remove allowing any excess to drain off.
- Finally place the fish into the breadcrumb mixture and toss until evenly coated, remove and gently shake off any excess.
- Place the chips into the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until a golden brown and crisp. Remove from the oven and season to taste.
- Lightly spray a second roasting tray with oil, place 1 layer of the fish goujons slightly separated onto the tray and lightly spray them with oil, then turn each one over and lightly spray with oil again.
- Once the potatoes have been cooking for 5 minutes, place the fish goujons into the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until they are golden brown in colour and cooked through, then remove from the oven.
Ad. Article continues below.
In the centre of each serving plate place 4-5 chips, top the chips with 4-5 fish goujons then top the fish goujons with a generous dollop of tartare sauce.
*This recipe was featured on ‘Old family favourites, just healthier, with smart ingredient swaps’ article. Click here to watch the video.