Customers are being urged to return Hans chorizo-style sausages after testing found traces of the E. coli in packets sold at Coles supermarkets.
Hans issued a notice on their website on Monday, saying they were recalling Hans Spanish Chorizo (250g) as “a precautionary health measure due to potential microbial (E. coli) contamination”.
“Customers should not consume the product,” they said in a statement on their website.
“Any consumers concerned for their health should seek medical advice.”
The recall affects Coles customers in NSW and Queensland.
“This recall is being undertaken to ensure the safety of our customers as part of our ongoing commitment to maintain the highest standards of safety and quality at all times,” they said. “We apologise for any inconvenience.”
They added: “We are working with relevant authorities to ensure the ongoing safety of our consumers.”
Only packets with the use-by-date 01 December, 2017 are affected.
E. coli is a bacteria that usually lives in the intestine of humans and animals. It can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
The recall comes just weeks after Coles and Woolworths asked customers to return Kettle chips in Sea Salt and Rosemary and Sea Salt as they may contain pieces of white plastic.